Sunday, February 10, 2008

Happy New Year.... and, a Few Scenes from Chinatown in New York.




We've had some very warm days this February--broke records too--but today, when we decide to go out to a parade, a blast of arctic air comes around! Not only that, but for about an hour we had a snowstorm! I mean it was so cold that my fingers froze in order to take these pictures. They're not artistic, just a small glimpse into a segment of the mosaic we call "the city."


We have a rather big Chinese community in New York City, and as you might have heard, they're celebrating a new year. All this past week, there've been several fun events around town, and a parade on Sunday in Chinatown, downtown Manhattan.




Overall it was a nice experience. I think I was there last year too. Visiting Chinatown, it's a mini adventure. One advice though: don't eat anything you don't recognize or you can't acertain what it is! At the very least, the taste or the combination of ingredients may surprise you. Many of the signs are in Chinese only and the shopkeepers often aren't very fluent in English. But, you must try the food there, including the deserts. By the way, food is far less expensive than anywhere else; for example, the price of a cup of coffee is only 75 cents--which is unheard of after Starbucks appeared.



Chinatown spreads over many blocks in lower part of the island, and it's adjacent to Little Italy. I'm already planning a trip to Mulberry Street for some Italian treats, even though their prices are more in line with those in Rome, and paying with US dollars!








13 comments:

Anonymous said...

It seems that every large US city has a Chinatown, but I think this one is the largest. Well, I don't know, maybe the one in San Fransisco.

Yes, you can find lots of goodies there.

George said...

I've been to the one in Frisco a few times, and it seems to me that the one in NYC is far bigger. More spread out, and more crowded!

Anonymous said...

For those who asked... This is the year of the Rat! There are 12 signs, marking 12 years, rotating. So, every 12 years you share the same "zodiac" with others born 12 years apart.

Of course, this means nothing, like astrology! right?

George said...

Btw, Homer is selling something outside a food store.... but the sign is in Chinese so I don't know.

Also, I didn't know what to make of the prop.. a human skull! Better avoid the food there! ha!

George said...

on further inspection, the sign reads, "Hot Herb Jelly".... but, is it supposed to shed your skin?... ha! Hence, the skull?

Anonymous said...

Did you eat something weird there?

Why the advice?

lol
;0


Though I know what you're saying about mixing flavors. I had a sweet bun with some kind of shredded meat blended in!

George said...

How did you know???!! And, the meat (?) was salty. Sweet and salty I like.... but only in old-fashioned popcorn! ha!

Anonymous said...

Those poppers were everywhere... and their discarded cylinders made walking an adventure....and the confetti strewn several inches high.

I had a good time too.

Anonymous said...

Someone told me that the parades with dancing dragons, etc, is not the norm in China. Is this true?

Geo2 said...

I don't know, if someone does, please let us know. I wouldn't be surprised if,like many other "traditions," are started by the immigrants here in the US.

Traditional cuisines have been altered to suit the taste of the American palate.

By the way, even though the Chinese lunar year is observed by the Chinese community in this country, business is as usual. Most Chinese work in the service industry and can't afford to (or don't) take days off.

I recently heard on NPR that Thanksgiving is turning out to be the biggest practical holiday for many Chinese-Americans! This is the single most popular day for weddings too! I assume for a host of other social events as well.

Anonymous said...

There is going to be such a great ceremony for the Olympic Games in Bejing this summer. I love the colors and the dances and the music. Since it's a state-run economy and a state-run enterprise, I'm sure the Chinese government will spare no expense to impress the world.

doctor said...

Do people in Chinatown speak chinese or english?

doctor

George said...

Doc,
First, welcome to my casual lounge.

Even though Chinese immigrants have been around for ..ever in the US, I see many of them in Chinatown that clearly have been born in China as they speak chinese. Only the younger ones, under 20-25, speak fluent English, with no accent by the way.

I believe this immigrant community is no different than many others: in transition.

Greektown Astoria used to be like that. Not so nowadays, as the children of the Greek imms have moved on. The difference between the two communities is that there's no more Greek immigration (usually after 1980) to the US, whereas the Chinese community is constantly being infused with blood from the old country.