Saturday, September 20, 2008

A Slice of the Good Life

It's been a while since I posted something here. All is well. I just went through a very busy time and had to relocate & shuffle things around. How do you like my new place? OK, I confess, not all of it is mine... Do you recognize this place?

I only have this part of the building. The balcony is rather small, don't you think? Hope it doesn't cost an arm and a leg to heat this place in the winter.
But the views of the Hudson River are spectacular!
This is the entrance to the garden.
A quiet spot, great for contemplation.




The Italian Gardens.
Of course, some parts of the garden need lots of work, so between that and other stuff, I didn't have time to post anything. You understand...



This little mansion and its lush environs is located in New Hyde Park, NY. Some very wealthy guy named F.W. Vanderbilt built it. Rather modest compared to the guilded-age mansions of the robber barons. Join me on Friday, Dec. 12th, for a Gilded Age Christmas!

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

You're having a xmas party? Yoohoo!

I won't bring anything, because I know you've got everything there! ;)

Anonymous said...

You've got to see the other gilded mansions in Newport, Rhode Island, and elsewhere... not that this one isn't grand.

George said...

Robber barons (in the US) were those industrialists who in the absence of regulation did whatever they could to prevent competition and exploit everything else they could, including their workers.

Oh, wait a minute, it's like today!

Anonymous said...

Actually, the term comes from those German (?) feudal lords who collected exorbitant tolls of all passage going up the Rhine (and other rivers).

George said...

Yeah, I've heard that. I guess the Holy Roman Emperor was asleep at the wheel, or didn't care!

Wait, it's like today!