Thursday, January 3, 2008

Lucky Children, Lucky Parents! A Great Way to Start 2008

I don't have children of my own, but I get elated when friends (or people I know) become parents and they're so happy. Being a parent and raising kids is a part of a meaningful life. I won't pretend to know how a mother or a father feels, but I do understand the emotional & physical exertion, the fireworks of mind and body that take place when a newborn arrives.

My blog friend Doctor just got a brand new daughter on Jan. 2nd, 2008! Mother and baby are doing fine. The father is in stable condition, and will recover into good blogform soon. Reports indicate that his other daughter is happy to have a sister to boss around!

My thoughts, heartfelt & warmest wishes, and loud cheers from across the pond over to Greece and to Doc's family. I'll raise a glass (or two) to celebrate the event as well.

I feel a little more confident about the future of humanity when I see that good people having kids. Genetics do play an important role, but it is the immediate environment that's crucial in a person's makeup. The parents influence their kids tremedously. Of course, the greater community and the conditions there are vital too, but those conditions can't be controlled by the parents. Therefore, good parenting is even more imperative.

Most of us, I suspect, have had good parents. I'm not talking about an ideal situation, but about the opportunity we all had to be born, grow up, and be provided with instruction/direction and the necessities of life. Being loved is a need every child needs to experience. Security, survival, shelter, and a sense of belonging are what parents can provide--when they can. I think much of the world's problems can be traced to the experiences a human being has during childhood.

I wish more kids in the world today were as lucky as Doc's daughters!

Cheers!



Update, Jan. 4, '08:

This is a great short video that should be watched by all those parents who don't realize the responsibility they have towards their children. Lead by example, because the kids are watching, and learning....


4 comments:

Anonymous said...

A, you don't know what you're missing by not having at least one kid. [boys are OK too]

But, you're right about parenting and how important it is to shaping not only the individual but the whole society in the long run.

Nice post. you got me thinking about my parents....

doctor said...

Dear andros, thank you very much for this great post!

I am so tired these days but I feel so happy.

Thank you

dimitris
Athens
Greece

aqua said...

Κάποια παιδιά στον κόσμο μας είναι πράγματι τυχερα.
Κάποια άλλα όχι.
Εχω ήδη 2 μεγάλα αγόρια.
Μα πρόσφατα απόκτησα και μια κόρη. Την Rida από το Πακιστάν.
Μπορούν να γινουν παιδιά μας όλα τα παιδιά του κόσμου και να βοηθήσουμε ν'αλλάξει η ζωή τους.

http://www.actionaid.gr/folder.2005-02-15.7785785627/folder.2005-02-15.1232506154/index_html

Ισως είναι μια ευκαιρία να ξεκινήσει καλά το 2008!

George said...

@ Doc,

Somethings come after lots of effort and energy, but they're totally worth it!

Relax, and enjoy the experience.




@ Aqua,

Saving or helping one person at a time makes a huge difference. I know you're doing it not to receive thanks but because it's something humane, something decent you choose to do. We definitely need more compassion in the world. And, more education, and to elevate the position of women in the Third World.