Saturday, July 7, 2012

Mermaids of Coney Island 2012



On a very beautiful but hot day in June, Coney Island held its annual Mermaid Parade and this one didn't disappoint. Even if you've seen this parade before, every year has something different. Plus, if you stand on Surf Avenue, as I was this year, you can see floats, and all sorts of vehicles. If you stand on the boardwalk, then the parade is a lot closer and personal.

Peanut butter and jelly(fish)! She's been doing this for at least 5 years and every year she has something new and creative.
This guy shows up in every parade in NYC, dressed in drag, along with his dog and the parrot on his head (it's a real parrot!)
 
Yeah, I know....
Colorful for all ages
It is a family affair attended by many thousands of people. I can see though why such a parade wouldn't be allowed in ..Kansas.
Bubbly time


Small mermaids and the obscured Mets mascot
Miss America  circa 1951. She still looks gorgeous!
Zombie mermaid. Sure, why not?
Hanging out at the boardwalk
 
 
Mean mermaids?
 She looked revealing from the front.  Where do I have that picture?....






Look at the camera this old-timer has!
 I learned to take pictures on a totally manual camera where I had to calculate (or guess) all the settings and hope for the best. It was trial and error, lots of errors. Slow learning too because film & development was expensive so I rarely shot a complete roll of 24 or 35 exposures. Sounds crazy in this digital age where capacity of exposures runs in the hundreds. But back then when I finished the film I didn't know what I had done until I got the prints back. Oh, and if someone wanted copies, oh boy... 

The good thing was that I got an understanding of how picture-taking works, the fundamentals, but I do appreciate having an advanced digital camera. I shot these pictures with a Nikon D5100 and two lenses, 18-55 and 55-200. 

One man band. Lots of entertainment on the boardwalk after the parade







This a great "gypsy" band.  I only recognized its leader whom I'd seen a couple times before. His name is Salvatore Geloso and the band is Up Up We Go. He travels all over the US, but I know you can catch him in New Orleans during Mardi Gras. If you can spare $10 buy their cd. The guy below is playing a handsaw like a violin!


One more song, on YouTube, "Colin's Song", in NYC

Posted by Picasa

No comments: