Wednesday, July 8, 2009

Oldies but Goodies

I've been away and rather busy the rest of the days--OK, this includes catching up on sleep--so I haven't posted in a while, but I have lots of stuff on backlog! Where to start? Let's see, how about something for the boys?






If I had lots of money, I'd definitely have a few cars, maybe 3, 4 or 5. Of them, 3 would be really classic, oldies but functional. I spoke to the guy who restores old cars; he showed me pictures of how he found them. They looked total junks, and unrecognizable. He puts lots of new parts, new engine, etc. He spent $9,000 on one--for parts only, because the labor is all his. He had just given that car to his daughter for a graduation present!

There are many clubs of owners of oldies in the US, and there are frequent shows everywhere. All the cars have to get to the show [this case was in a big parking lot in Peekskill, NY] on their own power. So, yes, they are all in good shape. They open the engine hood so you can see they have new engines or a rebuilt one with lots of modern parts. It makes sense.

Take a closer look at the Ford with the wooden cabin. It was built in the early 20th century (like 1921 or so)--not much later than the very first cars appeared in the US. I think the license plates of historic cars also show their year of production.

In one of the photos, there's the interior of a 1971 VW Beetle. When I was in college I drove one. It was built in 1971 and it was a fading yellow color! Ha! I had wheels, that was the most important thing. But that car was horrible on gas mileage, very wide turn radius, not very safe, no heat (AC? haha), and your face was a couple inches from the windshield! But it took me places, and it helped me with my social life.

In the end, the engine was consuming (or losing) as much oil as gas, so I had to junk it because the labor to fix the problem seemed exhorbitant to me back then. Then, I think, I got a Ford Pinto station wagon! IT was not an improvement... Didn't last that long though.


No comments: