Saturday, November 29, 2008

Post-turkey Stuff(ings)


These pictures are from The Ramble, which is located at the mid-section of the park, near the American Museum of Natural History. By the way, the museum has a new exhibit on global warming. It's been a couple years since I last visited, so it's time to go back. I did the Met recently (if anyone can say that in one visit), and the MOMA is on my list too.


Did you get up at 3 am to find those sales bargains? It's amazing how people get caught up in this... I mean, to form a line outside a store at 4 in the morning--in the middle of the night for me--it's unbelievable. In NY a Walmart employee got killed and several others got injured by the invading hordes! They broke down the doors! Incredible.

Human psychology is intriguing. On EBay, for example, I just bought a Garmin Nuvi 750 GPS for $40 less than the current bidding. The same company sells the same product for less, on Ebay the same day too, but when it puts the same item up for bidding, it sells for lots more!
Instead of hitting the stores for bargains, I made some money buying Dell and Apple (again) stock on line.Well, I haven't made any money yet, because I'm holding on to these stocks, but they're up in value. The market had its best week in decades after a huge decline. Go figure. I think the market will up again early in next week and then will go down as the shopping craziness subsides. People are hurting because of the economy, and those on the cusp are worried about their future. The result is spending less on stuff we don't need but want.

On Thanksgiving day, New York city is delightful as long as you avoid the Macy's Thanksgiving parade. I mean the parade is nice for kids, but unless you're into this kind of stuff--huge balloons of childhood characters--it's best you enjoy the relatively quiet city. Not much traffic either. Try it on Xmas day and New Year's. Go to Central Park which is a treasure and free to enjoy.

8 comments:

Anonymous said...

how much did you pay for that GPS?

George said...

Let's say I paid $300 less than what Saks Fifth Avenue charge! And, didn't pay any tax or shipping.

I see that a few are up for bidding right now on Ebay, a little less than what I paid, but there's time left and the price is likely to go up.

Anonymous said...

I've got money to burn, any suggestions about the market?

George said...

Hmmm, I think the market will drop again, probably reaching the 7000s (mid-upper). So buy some DOG. You make money when the market goes down.

But, on the other hand, I think if you don't need the money right now, buy some tech & green companies' stock, or some qqqq (Nasdaq), etc.

The market will rise again, so this low point presents an opportunity to make some serious $$$. I mean double your money in the next 2 years.

But, what do I know?...

George said...

For example, oil is dropping, and I don't know how low. However, does anyone believe that it'll remain so low for years? I don't think so.

When oil is about $50/barrel it'll go up. Perhaps in a year or so. The Saudis want it to be around $75/barrel. As the world economy recovers in a 12-18 months (my guess), oil will definitely go up. Not to $150 but, if you buy stock now, and it goes up to $75-80 then you make a good profit.

I do think the market in the 7000s or low 8000s is a good long-term bet.

Anonymous said...

what bet are you talking about?

George said...

huh?...

bet?

I think that the market being so low today presents an opportunity for investing. Cheaper stock/options right now.

It can go down but not a lot. It'll have the see-saw movement by hundreds of points from day to day. Long-term though it'll climb.

Anonymous said...

I agree. If it goes much lower then it'll be disastrous. At that point it wouldn't matter if you had mone stashed in your mattress.